Monday 19 January 2015

All we see or seem...

So I've been working hard on Blood Witch since mid-December, really getting into it, really enjoying it, and really spending a lot of time mentally plotting sequels...And yet I'm dreaming about Scarlett from Nightmare Moon, and another character from that series who won't crop up until Book 2. Vivid, intense dreams, the kind you wake up from and can't really believe that was all just in your head.

I've always believed (and it's always been true for me) that the more you write, the more you want to write. For the first time in quite a long time, I've been writing daily since I decided to knuckle down on Blood Witch, even if it's just a couple of hundred words a day. So it's probably not surprising that my characters are starting to invade my dreams. It's annoying that it's characters from a book I'm not currently writing, because my attention is a fickle thing and I am determined to finish Blood Witch before going back to anything else. I'm not usually one for the whole "my characters are so alive to me!" schtick, but with Scarlett and her crew, that's definitely true. Mostly just because they've all been with me since I was a teenager, and I know them and their world and stories better than I know anyone or anything else. It's exciting to feel like my imagination is working so hard on their books behind the scenes, but it's frustrating having to slap it down like an over-eager puppy because, dammit, I made a commitment elsewhere!

Pictured: my imagination
Still, I am definitely keeping note of all these dreams for future story fuel, and it's good motivation to stick with the daily writing. And they're definitely better than the dreams where I do a whole day of work and then the alarm goes off and I have to do it all over again. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment