Saturday 16 April 2016

“Those are the voices of my brothers, darling; I love the company of wolves.”

Angela Carter

So I've been saying for a while now I want to write the next Urban Wolf novel this year, Black Dog. And if you check the nifty word count metre in the sidebar, you'll see I have indeed started. Admittedly, I started a couple of years ago and subsequently stopped, but that's beside the point. The novel has a beginning.

And there's also an Urban Wolf spin-off with a beginning. Again, started a couple of years ago and then stopped. That was a thing I did for a while. I think I've mentioned the spin-off previously too (In Cold Blood). Well, now I've finished and submitted my latest Amber Morgan project, I'm ready to dig back into my werewolf girls' world. My only problem is, I don't know which one to work on first.

I don't think it especially matters which one I go with, in terms of the timeline of the Urban Wolf world (ie, you'd be able to read either first without getting spoiled for the other - different characters, different part of the world). But there are developments for Ayla in Black Dog that are explained by the main plot of In Cold Blood, and it's a question of "do I want the readers to encounter This Thing first in the spin-off or Black Dog? Do I want readers to discover This Thing right alongside Ayla, or do I want them to be ahead of her?

I'm leaning towards working on In Cold Blood first, because I think it will be a novella rather than a novel, and it kind of follows on neatly from BLOOD HUNT in a way. I need to re-read both WIPs before making a firm decision, but either way, I'm back in the Urban Wolf world right now. And that's one of my favourite places to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment