Friday 13 March 2015

“A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity."

Leonid Pasternak - The Passion of Creation -
also, a dramatic reconstruction of me trying to get
shit done recently
Franz Kakfa

So it's been a little bit quiet round here lately, I know. The main reason has been The Pain, which gets in the way of pretty much everything when it's really bad. I'm currently waiting on yet another round of physiotherapy for my arm, but that doesn't make for very interesting blogging matter. I have been slowly eeking out new words on Blood Witch, but not with any regularity. I've been brainstorming and plotting other stories, and I've been having a wonderful time making playlists and Pinterest inspiration boards for characters and books I might write one day. I don't really think that counts as writing, but it's part of the process, right? Right?

One thing I have done recently (this week, in fact) is finish a short story I first started writing like, four years ago? Maybe more? The completion of this story marks a mini-milestone for me: it's a romantic suspense, a genre I've always wanted to write in. Huzzahs!



It's always nice to fulfil an ambition. And better yet - the story is going to be published! Further huzzahs! Yesterday I signed a contract with Evernight for THROUGH HER EYES and the projected publication date is April 2015.

But there's a twist in the tale. THROUGH HER EYES is not going to be a Naomi Clark story.

See, I did something quite uncharacteristically forward thinking when I re-started this blog, and that was promise myself that Naomi Clark was going to focus on her first writing love - dark, gritty urban fantasy. THROUGH HER EYES isn't those things, so I decided to do something I've been toying with for a while and create an alter-ego for writing projects that don't fall under the Naomi Clark Brand.* There are a lot of stories I want to write in genres I'm new to and I'd like to keep them separate from Ethan Banning, the Urban Wolf stories, etc. Largely because I have a really clear vision of what Naomi Clark is (slowly) writing and doing, and partly because these other stories are geared towards a different kind of reader. For me, it makes sense to put them in a different place.

So THROUGH HER EYES, along with possible some future stuff, is going to be published under the pen name Amber Morgan. Here are some places you can find Amber and her stories if you're interested:

Facebook
Twitter
Blog

As Amber is basically me, I can promise you that following her anywhere online will ensure a steady stream-of-consciousness nonsense interspersed with the occasional actually intelligent point and/or angry rant, and also hopefully lots of new stories (if the physiotherapy works).

*It's not really a brand. It's more like a nebulous collection of thought-forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment