Wednesday 15 February 2017

Five Songs for Dawn Hardy

So I don't have a snippet for you this week, because I'm currently between projects and all, but I want to keep Wednesday writerly. In that spirit, I'm getting musical! There's a link, honest. I have playlists on Spotify for most of my major series (you can find the Blood Canticles one here), and although I tend not to listen to music when I write, I do listen to it on my commute to work to keep my brain thinking about the work-in-progress.

Most of the songs on the Blood Canticles playlist are for Lola or Tristesse, or are general "mood pieces," but I added a few for Dawn as I worked on Lich Queen. Here's five!

1. I'm Not Dead - P!nk

 

I love P!nk's voice (although I mistrust her use of exclamation marks), and this song just resonates with me so much for Dawn - particularly the line "I'm not scared, just changing." Lich Queen sees Dawn change a lot. The whole series so far, in fact, has chronicled huge changes for Dawn, but this is the first book where we're inside her head and really understanding how deep those changes go.

2. Clint Eastwood - Gorillaz



There's no special lyrical connection between this song and Dawn. I just feel it's something she would listen to and like. That said, the lyrics do kind of read like a dueling conversation between Dawn and Isaiah. Also, it's still a really cool track.

3. Open The Lid - Amanda Jenssen



Another lady with an amazing voice. And given everything that happens to Dawn in Lich Queen, the lyrics are particularly spot-on - "honey come haunt me, let us in."

4. Devil's Resting Place - Laura Marling



I can't quote a particular lyric that makes this song perfect for Dawn, because the whole song is perfect for Dawn.

5. Strange Things - Abigail Washburn and the Sparrow Quartet



And finally, a song that nicely sums up Lich Queen as a whole. Strange things are definitely happening to Dawn. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get to see for yourself soon...


No comments:

Post a Comment